Norfolk Talks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Sour Cream Coffee Cake

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
windy

windy

Female Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Sour Cream Coffee Cake Empty
PostSubject: Sour Cream Coffee Cake   Sour Cream Coffee Cake Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 6:06 pm

1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
1 cup white sugar

Cream butter, beat in eggs, then sugar until well blended

Mix 1 tsp. baking soda into 1 cup of sour cream, then beat into first mixture

Add 1 1/2 cup flour, 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder, dash of salt and 1 tsp. vanilla, mixing well

Pour half the batter into a 9" greased square pan. Sprinkle half the topping over the batter and repeat with remaining batter, levelling out over topping. Sprinkle remaining topping and bake at 350 for about 40-45 minutes.

Topping: 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1 tsp. cinnamon, 1/2 cup walnut pieces, or Peanuts, (omit salt if using salted nuts) or raisins.

Last edited by windy on Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
joeileen

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2008-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Sour Cream Coffee Cake   Sour Cream Coffee Cake Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 9:37 am

I make this recipe often. It is very good. If I make it at night it is usually gone before I get up in the morning. The kids LOVE it.
Back to top Go down
SZQ

SZQ

Female Number of posts : 419
Registration date : 2008-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Sour Cream Coffee Cake   Sour Cream Coffee Cake Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 8:27 pm

I've made this too and agree, absolutely delicious. Sometimes I've put in some fresh sliced apples.
Back to top Go down
joeileen

PostSubject: Re: Sour Cream Coffee Cake   Sour Cream Coffee Cake Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 9:53 am

SZQ Do you put the sliced apples in with the cinnamon topping? What about blueberries? They are in season right now and just wondering how to adapt the recipe? Throw some in with the cinnamon mixture????
Back to top Go down
SZQ

SZQ

Female Number of posts : 419
Registration date : 2008-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Sour Cream Coffee Cake   Sour Cream Coffee Cake Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 11:36 am

I prefer the thinly sliced apples in the batter but they could easily go in the topping too. Blueberries could go in the batter too, but the dough will have a purplish tinge from the berries. I've never tried that,but now that you suggested it, sounds yummy! For presentation purposes, I'd use blueberries in the topping I think.
As always, I'm available for taste testing. No charge!!!
Back to top Go down
LCarp

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Sour Cream Coffee Cake   Sour Cream Coffee Cake Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 12:32 pm

My mom used to make this cake all of the time - I now have the recipe as well. When rhubarb is in season - try putting chopped rhubarb between the 2 "layers" and also some on the top. I'm not overly fond of rhubarb but love it with this recipe.
Back to top Go down
windy

windy

Female Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-08-13

PostSubject: Re:Sour Cream Coffee Cake   Sour Cream Coffee Cake Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 6:31 pm

Wait til my hubby's family get a load of all the variations I can make now to their favorite coffee cake!! What great ideas to incorporate apples, blueberries or rubarb. I can't wait to surprise them the next time they visit or we go there!! Thanks for all the good ideas!
Back to top Go down
joeileen

PostSubject: Re: Sour Cream Coffee Cake   Sour Cream Coffee Cake Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 12:47 pm

OH, the blueberries were delicious! I can't wait to try some other variations
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sour Cream Coffee Cake   Sour Cream Coffee Cake Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Page 1 of 1