Norfolk Talks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Showdown over who puts down pets

Go down 
+4
Dar
rudievalentine
jjgrinder
wickens
8 posters
AuthorMessage
wickens

Male Number of posts : 487
Registration date : 2008-03-10

Showdown over who puts down pets Empty
PostSubject: Showdown over who puts down pets   Showdown over who puts down pets Icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2008 3:23 pm

Local business owners charged for referring mobile vets to people with pets at death's door
Jul 22, 2008 04:30 AM
Comments on this story (40)
BARBARA TURNBULL
LIVING REPORTER
A service that would help you have your pet euthanized at home has been unceremoniously put down by Ontario's College of Veterinarians.

Eric and Shelley Blechman, owners of Pet Heaven Funeral Services face charges of practising veterinary medicine without a licence, after referring mobile vets to clients whose animals are in their final hours.

The Blechmans, who take calls 24/7, say they are animal lovers who just want to help distraught individuals with dying furry friends.

Martin Fischer, investigator with the college, says their work is tantamount to the "corporate practice" of veterinary medicine but could not comment further, as the case is before the courts. The pre-trial hearing takes place tomorrow. The couple face potential fines of more than $100,000.
http://www.thestar.com/living/article/464460
Back to top Go down
jjgrinder

jjgrinder

Female Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2008-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Showdown over who puts down pets   Showdown over who puts down pets Icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2008 9:24 pm

This is a difficult and very personal decision.

I do know when the time comes for my furbabies, I want it to be at home where they are most comfortable. If my Vet provides this service ( I don't know; fortunately I haven't had to ask), then I would like to have them perform this service, but if they DIDN'T provide this service, I would have no problem asking someone who would.

Bottom line is...this is MY decision...this animal is a part of my family; has lived here and deserves to die here in the comfort of his home with his family nearby.
Back to top Go down
http://www.coydesigns.com
rudievalentine

rudievalentine

Female Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2008-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Showdown over who puts down pets   Showdown over who puts down pets Icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2008 9:48 pm

I believe it was Dr. Plater that went to the home of my friend to give her dog his final good bye. Dr. Plater wasn't even my friend's vet. This was after my friend's own vet wanted her to wait until Monday (this was a Friday night and the animal was in distress). So there are some vets out there that will provide this service if needed.
Back to top Go down
Dar

Female Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2008-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Showdown over who puts down pets   Showdown over who puts down pets Icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2008 11:56 pm

dr plater is awesome, has put down a few for me and has a great bedside manner
Back to top Go down
Katzz
Admin

Male Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2008-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Showdown over who puts down pets   Showdown over who puts down pets Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 4:17 am

Dr. Platter is definitely an outstanding Vet.

He has taken care of all my pets and he is honest and caring. We have had far to many issues lately with our pets and I am very grateful Dr. Platter was our vet as he is very good at what he does.
Back to top Go down
WetNozez

WetNozez

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Showdown over who puts down pets   Showdown over who puts down pets Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 12:25 pm

We use Dr. Tracey Gardiner as our vet, she is absolutely awesome. Once, our one dog got into anti-freeze, he had to stay at the clinic. That first night, Tracey woke up about 1am worrying about him. She got up and drove to the clinic in her jammies just to sneak in and check on him. She found he was sleeping, she then returned home and could then go back to sleep herself. She also does home calls when it's time for a pet to be put to sleep. I plan on doing this when it's our turn as he (Duke) is not comfortable in the clinic. Thank goodness for vets and what they do!
Back to top Go down
wickens

Male Number of posts : 487
Registration date : 2008-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Showdown over who puts down pets   Showdown over who puts down pets Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 1:39 pm

I stay when their time comes if Toby our dog gets bad doing the last thing will be at home if we can .My wife wont stay she says it hurts tpo much
Back to top Go down
Calypso

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-07-29

PostSubject: saying goodbye to a friend   Showdown over who puts down pets Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 6:57 pm

I think the hardest thing I've ever done in my whole life so far has been to make the decision to put down my dog. I've made some hard decisions but this was by far the most difficult. He actually loved going to the vet so I had no problem with that part of it. We went through some rough times together and I was not about to leave him alone although the vet gave me that option. I wanted the last thing he knew to be the scent of my hand under his chin. I went to the SPCA and found a beautiful little yellow lab girl. I wanted to give another dog a chance to live. I will always miss my first dog and intend to make a donation in his name each year on the anniversary of his death.
Back to top Go down
KellE

Female Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2008-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Showdown over who puts down pets   Showdown over who puts down pets Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2008 10:39 am

Sad We had to put out 18 year old cat to sleep last month. We knew him longer than we knew our kids and, like I posted in another area, I am feeling a lot of guilt and sadness over this. I didn't even think it could be done at home. I will always have the picture in my mind of his little head laying down forever. I will always have the security in knowing he didn't die alone but, I can't shake the feeling that I let him down somehow by not making him better. I know what all of you must be going through but, I am glad that I was there for him in his final moment and got to look into his eyes and tell him it was ok and kiss his pretty little mouth one more time.

He is on the rainbow bridge now and I know he is happy and not hurting anymore. do you know about the website petloss? It's great. Oh, and the vet we used is a new one in Delhi, Dr. Sue Wilkenson at Big Creek Veterinary Hospital. They were great, compassionate and patient and didn't offer us false hope in our cat's case and didn't put him through a lot of unneccessary testing. I recommend her
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Showdown over who puts down pets   Showdown over who puts down pets Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Showdown over who puts down pets
Page 1 of 1