Norfolk Talks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Tomato Ideas

Go down 
+2
SkullyCapone
jjgrinder
6 posters
AuthorMessage
jjgrinder

jjgrinder

Female Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2008-03-22

Tomato Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Tomato Ideas   Tomato Ideas Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2008 8:26 pm

I planted one "patio tomato" plant in a small pot earlier this year. In the past 5 days, I've taken off 7 perfectly oblong, red tomatoes.

My parents grow ENORMOUS tomato plants requiring cages and supports. In the past 5 days, they've given us 9 perfectly round, red tomatoes.

My husband is the tomato lover in the family...unfortunately even HE can only eat so many a day!

I've never preserved, canned, or salsa'd tomatoes before and I'd hate to see them go to waste.

Does anyone have some, simple, fun and delicious recipes?
Back to top Go down
http://www.coydesigns.com
SkullyCapone

Male Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2008-05-03

Tomato Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tomato Ideas   Tomato Ideas Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 5:57 pm

I posted a few idea's for ya and both are favs of mine, the Quesadilla and tomato coup recipes. you can also make some killer authentic italian style sphagetti sauce with those if you wanted to as well and its pretty simple. Tomorrow I will psot one of my sphagetti and meatball recipes I use.
Back to top Go down
jjgrinder

jjgrinder

Tomato Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tomato Ideas   Tomato Ideas Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 7:40 pm

Those look awesome...can almost smell them cooking now...

So when did you say you wanted to take over Andy's.......? bounce
Back to top Go down
Leslie

Leslie

Female Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Tomato Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tomato Ideas   Tomato Ideas Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 8:00 pm

jjgrinder wrote:

HAHA Andy's is still open?
I dont get out that way anymore
Back to top Go down
http://members.tripod.com/iamleslie2-ivil/leslieshomedaycare/
jjgrinder

jjgrinder

Tomato Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tomato Ideas   Tomato Ideas Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 8:07 pm

Yes it is still open and doing GREAT! It's been taken over by some new owners who seem to have re-vamped the place and brought it back to it's "Glory Days" standards.

Definitely worth the drive!! The milk shakes are still to die for.
Back to top Go down
Leslie

Leslie

Tomato Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tomato Ideas   Tomato Ideas Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 8:16 pm

They always had the best milkshakes around! Guess Im headed out there this weekend after Wasaga Beach LOL
Back to top Go down
SkullyCapone

Male Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2008-05-03

Tomato Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tomato Ideas   Tomato Ideas Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 9:27 pm

Leslie wrote:
jjgrinder wrote:

HAHA Andy's is still open?
I dont get out that way anymore

yes new owners, but prices are ridiculous
Back to top Go down
pretz

pretz

Female Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2008-03-23

Tomato Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tomato Ideas   Tomato Ideas Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2008 1:02 pm

Where is Andy's?
Back to top Go down
pretz

pretz

Female Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2008-03-23

Tomato Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tomato Ideas   Tomato Ideas Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2008 1:03 pm

By the way Leslie, have a great time at Wasaga Beach! Never been there but heard it's a great place to go!
Back to top Go down
Leslie

Leslie

Tomato Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tomato Ideas   Tomato Ideas Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2008 1:05 pm

Andy's is up on #59 just outside of Langton!! We used to skip school to go there, well I did anyway LOL
Thanks Pretz never been to Wasaga before but there is a big Vette show this weekend so we are headed up
Back to top Go down
jjgrinder

jjgrinder

Tomato Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tomato Ideas   Tomato Ideas Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2008 5:56 pm

Andy's had been around FOREVER it seems....has changed owners several times over the years. Just outside of Langton on Hwy 59.

Their food really is great...but yeah...expensive. But if you only go once in a while for a treat it's not so bad...good stop for an ice cream if you're out for a drive.
Back to top Go down
windy

windy

Female Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Tomato Ideas Empty
PostSubject: more tomato ideas   Tomato Ideas Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2008 7:27 pm

This receipe for tomato butter (or relish if you prefer) is on the sweet side but is very tasty on a sandwich, or with cold meat. The cassia buds called for I found at the health food store on Kent street in Simcoe.

You will need about 10 pounds of ripe tomatoes (approx. 12 large tomatoes), peeled, cored and cut into a large dice. Pour 2 cups of white vinegar over the tomatoes and let sit overnight. Drain off the liquid, saving 1 cup. In a large dutch oven or canning kettle combine the 1 cup of liquid drained off the tomatoes with 3 cups of white vinegar and 6 cups white sugar. Boil together for 10 minutes and then add tomatoes. In a cloth bag or cheescloth combine 1 tbsp whole cloves, 1 1/2 tbsp kosher salt, and 1 tbsp cassia buds. Add to mixture. Cook on medium high heat until thick. Remove cloth bag of spices and bottle in sterile jars.
Back to top Go down
SZQ

SZQ

Female Number of posts : 419
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Tomato Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tomato Ideas   Tomato Ideas Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2008 8:52 pm

This sounds quite yummy Windy! Tomorrow I'm making homemade tomato soup for the winter, about 24 jars. We just love it. Too bad we can't all sample everyone's recipes.......something like a Food Fest!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tomato Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tomato Ideas   Tomato Ideas Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tomato Ideas
Page 1 of 1