Norfolk Talks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Cheap Hot Dogs

Go down 
+5
wombat
Watchman
pattip
pretz
KellE
9 posters
AuthorMessage
KellE

Female Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2008-08-04

Cheap Hot Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Cheap Hot Dogs   Cheap Hot Dogs Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 9:59 am

I was at a grocery store in Simcoe on Friday and saw a blowout sale on Maple Leaf Top Dogs. They were on sale for 99 cents. There was a whole display of them with a big blowout sign. I passed on the 99 cent weiners and it looked like everyone else was passing on them too. I know the meat recall is over but, I just felt odd about buying the "blowout" priced weiners.
Back to top Go down
pretz

pretz

Female Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2008-03-23

Cheap Hot Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cheap Hot Dogs   Cheap Hot Dogs Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 10:14 am

I'm certainly not rich but for some reason I very seldom if ever purchase any Maple Leaf products. Just never have. So I would have also passed on the 99 cent hot dogs.
Back to top Go down
pattip

pattip

Female Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Cheap Hot Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cheap Hot Dogs   Cheap Hot Dogs Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 10:15 am

Didn't get any either but with the amount of cleaning the plant has gotten they are probably the safest hotdogs in the market place.
Back to top Go down
Watchman

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2008-03-17

Cheap Hot Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cheap Hot Dogs   Cheap Hot Dogs Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 10:57 am

I was never a big fan of Maple Leaf to begin with. I can't think of the last time that I ever bought a Maple Leaf brand name meat product. I realize of course that they produce for other brand names and I could very well have bought something that was produced by them.

For weiners though, nothing but Schneiders.
Back to top Go down
wombat

wombat

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-03-15

Cheap Hot Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cheap Hot Dogs   Cheap Hot Dogs Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 11:24 am

Watchman wrote:
I was never a big fan of Maple Leaf to begin with. I can't think of the last time that I ever bought a Maple Leaf brand name meat product. I realize of course that they produce for other brand names and I could very well have bought something that was produced by them. For weiners though, nothing but Schneiders.

In fact, I find it amazing how little we know about the origin of the food we eat.
If you check the full list of the recalled Maple Leaf products you will find some 21 SCHNEIDER'S products on the list because they were actually produced by ML at their affected plant - no weiners though.
Back to top Go down
Inanimate Carbon Rod

Inanimate Carbon Rod

Number of posts : 164

Cheap Hot Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cheap Hot Dogs   Cheap Hot Dogs Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 1:43 pm

yes, folks - Schneiders IS Maple Leaf Foods

has been for quite awhile now

sunny
Back to top Go down
cking

cking

Female Number of posts : 427
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Cheap Hot Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cheap Hot Dogs   Cheap Hot Dogs Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 4:02 pm

Some interesting facts!
"The company was originally known as Maple Leaf. It was founded in 1927 as a merger of several major Toronto meat packers and was immediately Canada's largest food processor, a title it would hold for the next sixty years.

Its main business was pork, and its massive operations processing hogs for export to the United Kingdom helped Toronto earn its nickname "Hogtown."

Moving into western Canada it became Canada's largest beef slaughterer.

It also moved into other markets producing well known brands such as Squirrel peanut butter and Black Diamond cheese. The company also developed a large bread division, best known for the Dempster's brand, which is Canada's best selling brand of bread.

During the 1980s the company began to suffer.

After being successfully revived, the company was purchased by Wallace McCain, formerly co-CEO of McCain Foods, who had been ousted by his brother and co-owner Harrison McCain, in 1995 along with the Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan.

In 2003 the company purchased rival Schneider Foods. The company is also one of Canada's largest agribusinesses, owning poultry and hog farms across the country. The main slaughterhouse is located in Brandon, Manitoba."
This is quite a story!!
Back to top Go down
Watchman

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2008-03-17

Cheap Hot Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cheap Hot Dogs   Cheap Hot Dogs Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 5:38 pm

Inanimate Carbon Rod wrote:
yes, folks - Schneiders IS Maple Leaf Foods

has been for quite awhile now

sunny

Guess that is my new thing learned for the day Smile

I had no idea.
Back to top Go down
Jonas

Jonas

Male Number of posts : 468

Cheap Hot Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cheap Hot Dogs   Cheap Hot Dogs Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 7:42 am

99 cents ...wow!!! Where was that? I want to stock up for the family thanksgiving weiner roast!!!
Back to top Go down
KellE

Female Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2008-08-04

Cheap Hot Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cheap Hot Dogs   Cheap Hot Dogs Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 8:35 am

They're at the superstore Jonas
Back to top Go down
cking

cking

Female Number of posts : 427
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Cheap Hot Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cheap Hot Dogs   Cheap Hot Dogs Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 11:08 am

I'll bet it was a huge reaction to the listeria outbreak...and at the end of the summer, the long weekend, etc. when people SHOULD have been eating a lot of hotdogs, people saw the Maple Leaf name and backed away! And they were left with too many weenies! But the wieners were never in the list of questionable products.
Back to top Go down
gcaughill

Male Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-11-04

Cheap Hot Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cheap Hot Dogs   Cheap Hot Dogs Icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 5:02 pm

I prefer Shopsy's over Maple Leaf anyways.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gregcaughill.com/
Sponsored content

Cheap Hot Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cheap Hot Dogs   Cheap Hot Dogs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cheap Hot Dogs
Page 1 of 1