Norfolk Talks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Salad

Go down 
+3
Slyguy
pretz
SZQ
7 posters
AuthorMessage
SZQ

SZQ

Female Number of posts : 419
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Salad Empty
PostSubject: Salad   Salad Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 8:47 pm

To all the great cooks out there....I'm looking for a new salad for Thanksgiving dinner. Can be pasta, or lettuce or anything vegetarian. I'm all out of ideas and tired of the ones I've used. (Besides...my hubby's ex wife always comes for Thanksgiving and Christmas....so ladies, you will understand why I want an extra special salad!!)
Back to top Go down
SZQ

SZQ

Salad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Salad   Salad Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 8:49 pm

PS We are having salmon, autumn veggies and homemade Cauliflower soup. Want a sald to accompany this.
Back to top Go down
pretz

pretz

Female Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2008-03-23

Salad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Salad   Salad Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 9:46 pm

Have you searched the net using the word "vegetarian"? Just a thought. How kind of you to invite hubby's ex for dinner. I don't hear of that happening much.
Back to top Go down
SZQ

SZQ

Salad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Salad   Salad Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 6:20 am

I was hoping to find a recipe that was kind of 'tried, tested and true' as opposed to taking a chance on a random recipe. I will do that if I have to. We always invite our adult children, grandchildren and hubby's ex. It shows the grandchildren that we all get along. There are so many family celebrations, I think we'd go crazy if we had to pick and choose which ones to attend based on who would be there. Not the route for us!
Back to top Go down
Slyguy

Male Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2008-07-30

Salad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Salad   Salad Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 12:17 pm

SZQ wrote:
PS We are having salmon, autumn veggies and homemade Cauliflower soup. Want a sald to accompany this.

Have you thought of a classic caesar salad, roasted garlic, pureed anchovies, olive oil, lemon juice instead of vinegar, mayo instead of raw egg, shaved parmesan cheese, croutons. It'll compliment salmon, contrast the hearty veggies and stand up to the soup. I hope you have a Reisling on hand!
Back to top Go down
SZQ

SZQ

Salad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Salad   Salad Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 12:33 pm

Good reminder! I haven't made a caesar in years. I'll leave out the anchovies as it doesn't fit with the vegetarian diet. Thanks Steve!
Back to top Go down
jjgrinder

jjgrinder

Female Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2008-03-22

Salad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Salad   Salad Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 1:45 pm

I'm sorry...I'm still trying to get past the ex coming for dinner....wow...you're a bigger person than I could be!

lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.coydesigns.com
SZQ

SZQ

Salad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Salad   Salad Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 3:13 pm

lol!
It's not such a big deal. They were divorced for ten years before I came along and the ex is quite a nice person. We actually have a lot in common. But...I can see where they would clash many times over!!!!
Back to top Go down
jjgrinder

jjgrinder

Female Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2008-03-22

Salad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Salad   Salad Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 4:44 pm

Hehe...aren't you ever tempted to....you know...uh...sprinkle a little something extra in her salad?

Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.coydesigns.com
SZQ

SZQ

Salad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Salad   Salad Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 7:59 pm

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

Oh yes! There have been times! Of course we are talking about ingredients such as...ummm...truth serum?????!!!!
Back to top Go down
Jonas

Jonas

Male Number of posts : 468
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Salad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Salad   Salad Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 9:46 pm

Simple and fresh is best, SZQ....I'd go with the Caesar too. But the lol! to the power 19??....that funny! Laughing
Back to top Go down
SZQ

SZQ

Salad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Salad   Salad Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 6:32 am

I laughed so hard when I read jjgrinder's comment!!! Very Happy

I think I will go with the cauliflower soup first, caesar salad, an assortment of breads with apple butter and an herbed butter, an assortment of lightly grilled veggies, salmon, a beet and walnut salad and then for dessert, cheesecake, apple pie and for the darling grandchildren, chocolate sundaes, their favourite. The vegetarian in our family won't eat the soup unless I use water instead of broth, omit the cheese on the salad and it's okay, nor eat the salmon or butter. Apple pie will be okay, even though it's made with white flour which is avoided. And my hubby wonders why I get stressed when they come for dinner? LOL Thanks everyone!
Back to top Go down
Leslie

Leslie

Female Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Salad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Salad   Salad Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 6:36 am

Susan you definately have your work cut out with that one!
HUGE HUGSSSS
Back to top Go down
http://members.tripod.com/iamleslie2-ivil/leslieshomedaycare/
Jonas

Jonas

Male Number of posts : 468
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Salad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Salad   Salad Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 5:39 pm

Great stuff, SZQ......although personally, I would go with a lighter dessert like a lemon mousse or sorbet to finish the meal. Let us know how it went. Wink
Back to top Go down
SZQ

SZQ

Salad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Salad   Salad Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 8:33 pm

Hmmmm...now you've got me thinking...I'm always open to suggestions.
Back to top Go down
SkullyCapone

Registration date : 2008-05-03

Salad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Salad   Salad Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2008 7:51 pm

I like this orzo salad, orzo is sort of like mini pasta's, with a homemade red wine vinaigrette. ive done it a few times and its not hard at all

4 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups orzo
1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 cups red and yellow teardrop tomatoes or grape tomatoes, halved
3/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
About 3/4 cup Red Wine Vinaigrette
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Pour the broth into a heavy large saucepan. Cover the pan and bring the broth to a boil over high heat. Stir in the orzo. Cover partially and cook until the orzo is tender but still firm to the bite, stirring frequently, about 7 minutes. Drain the orzo through a strainer. Transfer the orzo to a large wide bowl and toss until the orzo cools slightly. Set aside to cool completely.

Toss the orzo with the beans, tomatoes, onion, basil, mint, and enough vinaigrette to coat. Season the salad, to taste, with salt and pepper, and serve at room temperature.

Red Wine Vinaigrette

1/2 cup red wine vinegar

1/4 cup fresh lemon juice

2 teaspoons honey

2 teaspoons salt

3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Mix the vinegar, lemon juice, honey, salt, and pepper in a blender. With the machine running, gradually blend in the oil. Season the vinaigrette, to taste, with more salt and pepper if needed.
Back to top Go down
SZQ

SZQ

Salad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Salad   Salad Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 6:26 am

Sounds scrumptious! I'm going to make it just for hubby and me. His daughter is vegan/vegetarian so the broth and honey are out. Gosh, she's missing out on a whole world of great food!
Thank you for sending it Skully!
Back to top Go down
SkullyCapone

Registration date : 2008-05-03

Salad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Salad   Salad Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 4:32 pm

SZQ wrote:
Sounds scrumptious! I'm going to make it just for hubby and me. His daughter is vegan/vegetarian so the broth and honey are out. Gosh, she's missing out on a whole world of great food!
Thank you for sending it Skully!

I have never tried it without broth and honey but it may still work, try and find a substitute for the honey sweetness, oh and the garbanzo beans chickpeas if your wonderin, the fresh mint and basil should be located in your produce isle in most grocery stores, usually in a package
Back to top Go down
SZQ

SZQ

Salad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Salad   Salad Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 4:46 pm

Thanks Skully. When a recipe calls for broth, I often substitute water and then she'll eat it. Sometimes I use wine instead! I knew about the beans and chickpeas from past experiences. We have a great farmer's market here in Big City but when it closes up shop for winter, then I head for the produce dept. at our local store. I should try to use the Hamilton Farmer's Market in winter. I'm a huge CHICKEN when it comes to driving in Hamilton but my hubby won't be working after Nov. so maybe he can take me.
I'll have to think about the honey substitution.
Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Salad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Salad   Salad Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Salad
Page 1 of 1