Norfolk Talks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

I am man. Hear me simmer gently

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
wickens

Male Number of posts : 487
Registration date : 2008-03-10

I am man. Hear me simmer gently Empty
PostSubject: I am man. Hear me simmer gently   I am man. Hear me simmer gently Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 9:27 am

Jul 29, 2008 04:30 AM

VINAY MENON
The other night, at a dinner party in the Annex, I caught a glimpse of the future.

Standing in his backyard, a male friend hovered over his barbecue. He basted. He wielded tongs. And he fussed with plump chicken breasts the way a florist might fuss with an arrangement of orchids and birds of paradise.

In the kitchen, his 16-year-old son slaved over a gas stove, cooking for the kid-sized revellers.

Later, a male guest sidled up to the flaming element.

He waxed rhapsodically about French cuisine. Then he pan-fried asparagus, pausing to shout a, "Where do you keep the olive oil?" to the lady of the house, who was in the living room chatting about structural engineering with the other female guests.

Perched on a stool, I cradled my martini and figured it was only a matter of time before one of the men sent me out on an emergency turmeric run.

"No problem!" I'd yell, fumbling with the keys to my aptly-named Odyssey. "How are we for lemongrass?"

According to research – by which I mean a marketing-driven report commissioned by a British food company and conducted by the Orwellian-sounding Future Foundation – there is a new breed of man among us.

He is known as the "Gastrosexual." And if this month's "The Emergence of the Gastrosexual" is to be trusted, he is "masculine," "upwardly mobile," "aged 25-44," and "passionate about cooking and the rewards that it might bring – pleasure, praise and potential seduction."

In evolutionary terms, the Gastrosexual's opposable thumbs are perfectly adapted to pinch saffron into risotto. The Gastrosexual walks upright, like Homo erectus, even while navigating world grocery aisles.

The Gastrosexual also uses tools, like Homo habilis once did, though the crude stone implements used to down wild animals have since given way to self-sharpening knives and butane-powered blowtorches that caramelize the sugars atop crème brûlées.

And like Homo neanderthalensis, the Gastrosexual must deal with the conflicted reaction of Mrs. Homo neanderthalensis, who is all like: "Honey, it's great that you're making dinner again but can't we get out of this cave for one miserable night? I had a long day at work. I don't feel like waiting for your slow-cooked pork roast."
http://www.thestar.com/News/Columnist/article/468909
Back to top Go down
SkullyCapone

Male Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2008-05-03

PostSubject: Re: I am man. Hear me simmer gently   I am man. Hear me simmer gently Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 5:37 pm

I dont like this homo gashomo talk, I started loving food and flavour when I used to come home drunk as a teenager and needed something to fill my belly, id cook and ease the munchies, thats about it for me Laughing . Now later on in life being married with kids and the wife working off the farm i find myself having to cook a meal for her and the kids as they roll in the door around 5:30 at night and I figure if im gonna do it I wanna blow my mind with flavour and something new everyday. Now that i find myself getting pretty good at it i sometimes thinhk about making money off it, so i dont think this over analysis as being labelled as something strange is accurate, I just think I like to fen eat and I like good food Very Happy
Back to top Go down
wickens

Male Number of posts : 487
Registration date : 2008-03-10

PostSubject: Re: I am man. Hear me simmer gently   I am man. Hear me simmer gently Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 5:42 pm

Hey Skully when we both worked i got supper every night during the week.The best cooks are men
Back to top Go down
Slyguy

Male Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2008-07-30

PostSubject: Re: I am man. Hear me simmer gently   I am man. Hear me simmer gently Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2008 8:36 pm

wickens wrote:
Hey Skully when we both worked i got supper every night during the week.The best cooks are men
That's because we're not "cooks" we're Chefs!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I am man. Hear me simmer gently   I am man. Hear me simmer gently Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Norfolk Talks :: Norfolk Talks Forums :: Recipes-
Jump to: