Norfolk Talks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

need some help...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Dar

Female Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2008-03-24

need some help... Empty
PostSubject: need some help...   need some help... Icon_minitimeWed Jul 02, 2008 5:32 pm

i have had a shitzu , male for 3 yrs, trying to introduce a new puppy for the last week, anyone have tips to make the transition easier for him?????? HELP
Back to top Go down
WetNozez

WetNozez

Number of posts : 34

need some help... Empty
PostSubject: Re: need some help...   need some help... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 9:17 am

Not sure of any tips really, but we have been through this process as well with both dogs and cats. I have found it can take anywhere's from a few weeks to over a month for the older pet to adapt. They have their routines, a new family member, well they screw it all up for them. The little one wants to play all the time where the older one does not. The new addition can become very much a "pest" to the older pet. So we just gave it some time, let the older pets take their time in getting used to the new addition. During that time also the new addition animal always seemed to learn how to behave from the older pet. Always gave extra attention to the orignal pet also so they would not feel like they were being replaced. And we'd never leave them unsupervised. Not until the new addition had definately been accepted by the original pet/pets. Have also found it was good to play with them together. Throw the ball and let both dogs go after it. They may squabble here and there but they are working out their own pecking order. In our experience the older pet always seems to be the dominant animal. The puppy was always made to mind by the older dog. And today the pets here are pretty much inseperable. So it does work out well in the end, you will just have to be patient as it may take them longer to adjust to one another than you'd like. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Ganga

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-03-28

need some help... Empty
PostSubject: Re: need some help...   need some help... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 1:00 am

has the transition come out ok?

when I brought my male Basset hound puppy home the two Jack Russell's 1 male(intact) and 1 female(spayed) were fine with it at first and played together. then one day my basset hound being a little older was playing and the male jack lit into him it was pretty scary but nothing bad happened now the basset has to be separated from the jack as he'd get eaten... by a dog less than half his size.
Back to top Go down
Dar

Female Number of posts : 35

need some help... Empty
PostSubject: Re: need some help...   need some help... Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2008 12:47 pm

things have worked out amazingly well......the are now playing together, its so cute
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

need some help... Empty
PostSubject: Re: need some help...   need some help... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

need some help...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Norfolk Talks :: Norfolk Talks Forums :: Animal/Pet Forum-
Jump to: