Norfolk Talks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

TRAINING A NEW PUPPY?

Go down 
+5
Gebo
bulldog79
beppe
jjgrinder
Dar
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Dar

Female Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2008-03-24

TRAINING A NEW PUPPY? Empty
PostSubject: TRAINING A NEW PUPPY?   TRAINING A NEW PUPPY? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2008 10:23 am

ANY TIPS WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED
Back to top Go down
jjgrinder

jjgrinder

Female Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2008-03-22

PostSubject: Re: TRAINING A NEW PUPPY?   TRAINING A NEW PUPPY? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2008 11:41 am

Hi Dar

Are you able to attend some Puppy classes? Believe me...they are worth their weight in gold!

If not...there are some valuable resources online that can assist you in training....just google it and I'm sure you'll find a treasure trove on info!
Back to top Go down
http://www.coydesigns.com
beppe

beppe

Female Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2008-03-29

PostSubject: Re: TRAINING A NEW PUPPY?   TRAINING A NEW PUPPY? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2008 1:24 pm

The main thing we did when training our puppy was to confine her in a small area close to her bedding ( we had her sleep in a dog crate ) and took her out frequently during the day and evenings. If she was sitting with us while watching TV at night, we kept her on the couch, she was not allowed to jump off. (she was very small for her age which helped) this way we could keep an eye on her at all times and we were able to notice the signs that she made that she had to go. You may have to do this for the first 6 months but after that you will find they won't go in the house ever! Our girl had probably a few accidents before the age of 6 months but since that time has never gone in our house and she is over 4 years old now.
Back to top Go down
bulldog79

bulldog79

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-05-24

PostSubject: Re: TRAINING A NEW PUPPY?   TRAINING A NEW PUPPY? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2008 12:12 am

the main thing i can tell you is to remember that dogs are pack animals, treat our family like it is a pack. little things like you walk through a door first make the dog follow you. as the alpha male or pack leader you need to make sure the dog understand the social ladder that exist in your home. a trick to help establish this is to play fight with your dog (such as would take place in the dog pack situation) when you are playing roll him on to his back and hod him there until he shows other submissive signs. i own a Jack Russel and prior to that a boxer, and in training those 2 dogs i researched how dogs would act in a pack environment it made it very easy to understand my dog. the other thing I was told to do and worked well is to eat first then feed your dog this helps to establish your self as the "alpha male" the other thing i trained my dog to do is when i use the command "people are eating" he goes to his pen (he is crate trained he knows it as his bed) this command works grate expesialy when i have company that's all i have to say when we sit down to eat, then we have no dog begging drooling, or staring at you when you are eating. the other thing i would recommend is to go to tsc and buy a horse lunge ling it is the same as a dog leash but 30ft long always walk your dog with that rope when he gets near the end use a command like "that's far enough" and give a good tug on the lead eventually you will not need the leash all you will have to say is "that's far enough" and your dog will not go any further, i hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
Dar

PostSubject: Re: TRAINING A NEW PUPPY?   TRAINING A NEW PUPPY? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2008 11:12 am

wow, thanks for all the great tips guys......
Back to top Go down
Gebo
Gebo

Male Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2008-03-09

PostSubject: Re: TRAINING A NEW PUPPY?   TRAINING A NEW PUPPY? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2008 4:26 pm

I read the "Dog Whisperer Book" and that explained alot of the same things bulldog79 says...
it's amazing how much it helps to understand a bit of dog psychology
Back to top Go down
Dogspaw

Female Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-05-13

PostSubject: Re: TRAINING A NEW PUPPY?   TRAINING A NEW PUPPY? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 12:07 pm

What kind of dog did you get?
Back to top Go down
Dar

PostSubject: Re: TRAINING A NEW PUPPY?   TRAINING A NEW PUPPY? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 11:03 pm

shitzu.......i already have one but he was trained when i got him,,,,,,,,,does it make a difference as to the breed????
Back to top Go down
Dogspaw

PostSubject: Re: TRAINING A NEW PUPPY?   TRAINING A NEW PUPPY? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2008 8:33 am

Some breeds are easier to train than others. Goldens are easier because they want to please you as where a Huskey not as easy because they are indepenant and always want to be the alpha.

I find that people tend to worry less about training smaller breeds of dogs, than larger breeds. I'm always impressed when a toy dog comes in for grooming and it's trained.

I would highly recommend puppy classes. It's a great starting point. Training is a life time commitment. If you stick to it in the begining and practise on a daily basis, it has great rewards. With my puppy I do regret not crate training her. A dog should have a pet bed or a crate to call their own, that they can escape to when they get over whelmed. Also just like an above poster said training your dog to go to a crate, bed or mat while you eat is a great suggestion. Good Luck and enjoy your new puppy!
Back to top Go down
rye

rye

Male Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: TRAINING A NEW PUPPY?   TRAINING A NEW PUPPY? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2008 10:46 am

Being the "alpha male" is the best advice you've got so far.
Back to top Go down
Dogspaw

PostSubject: Re: TRAINING A NEW PUPPY?   TRAINING A NEW PUPPY? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2008 1:55 pm

It's not just males that are alpha's i've know plenty of female dogs that are alpha's! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
rye

rye

Male Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: TRAINING A NEW PUPPY?   TRAINING A NEW PUPPY? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2008 5:25 pm

Sorry... Alpha Dog! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Leslie

Leslie

Female Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2008-03-12

PostSubject: Re: TRAINING A NEW PUPPY?   TRAINING A NEW PUPPY? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2008 6:39 pm

Have fun.
I have a 6 yo Shih Tzu who still has potty accidents and I am home daily. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
http://members.tripod.com/iamleslie2-ivil/leslieshomedaycare/
rickr

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-03-22

PostSubject: Re: TRAINING A NEW PUPPY?   TRAINING A NEW PUPPY? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2008 7:51 pm

Hi
Puppy classes are the way to go. Canadian Canine College in Waterford is one of the best in Southern Ontario.
Forget the Dog Whisperer he is a bully and a made for tv wannabe that people like to hear about. Positive training is the way to go and is proving to have way better results. Anyone can intimidate a dog to do what they want but if the dog wants to do it you will have a better dog. Alpha Male my *** the only thing a dog needs is clear direction and consistent commands don't change things ever unless you screwed up. Talk to Colleen or Melissa at Canadian canine college they understand and will help you out. I have taken a lot of dog training classes as I compete in agility and Frisbee as well as dabble in Rally obedience and the girls at Canadian Canine are the best Dog behavior trainers I have ever seen.
Rick, Riff Raff and "The Brew"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TRAINING A NEW PUPPY?   TRAINING A NEW PUPPY? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

TRAINING A NEW PUPPY?
Page 1 of 1