Norfolk Talks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Cat Peeing Prob!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
KobrinFamily

KobrinFamily

Female Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2008-05-02

Cat Peeing Prob! Empty
PostSubject: Cat Peeing Prob!   Cat Peeing Prob! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2008 9:58 pm

Hi everyone!! I was wondering if anyone out there could help me out on this, We have Zoey she is a 5 year old fixed female cat, We adopted her back in Feb.....When we frist got her we used a normal litter box and she did fine then she started peeing outside the box, So I talked with the lady that gave her too us and she said that they used to use a large tupperware box, So that's what we use for her now, She was doing great for a month and now she seems too be haveing "accdents" outside the box about once a week now, Im not sure why? We always keep her box clean so it's not like she dosent like too go in it becuse it's dirty, I hate the smell of a kitty litter box so it has too be clean.....So could anyone out there shed some light on what they think could be the issue.

Thankyou

~Ruth cat
Back to top Go down
rye

rye

Male Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Cat Peeing Prob! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cat Peeing Prob!   Cat Peeing Prob! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2008 11:56 pm

Get a spray bottle and fill it with water.....everytime the cat pees outside the box squirt it with water...it'll get the point.

If not....there are deterrents you can buy from walmart that have pharamones in them that might work if the cats just marking its territory...
Back to top Go down
KobrinFamily

KobrinFamily

Cat Peeing Prob! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cat Peeing Prob!   Cat Peeing Prob! Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2008 10:02 am

Thanks we have dont that, But when it come's too the peeing she dose it at night when were in bed...So I'm not sure why she is doing it.....Could it be a sign that she's lonely maybe?? I know were she lived befor there was other cat's but here its just her and well the boy's bugging the crap out of her...lol So I'm not sure why, Well I know after today she will be abit up-set she will be in the basment most of the day the last thing I want is for her too run out of the house becuse of all the people comeing in and out today for my son's party.

~Ruth
Back to top Go down
jjgrinder

jjgrinder

Female Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2008-03-22

Cat Peeing Prob! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cat Peeing Prob!   Cat Peeing Prob! Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2008 2:53 pm

Speaking from experience here...

First off...take her to the Vet to rule out an infection or any other medical condition.

Have one more litter box than the amount of cats...(1 cat= 2 litter boxes)

She'll keep going back to the same spot...so you need to neutralize the area and get the smell out COMPLETELY.

Confine her to one room for the interim....keep her and her litter boxes in the laundry room or any other room where she is practically forced to use her litter box.

There is nothing worse than the smell of cat pee on carpeting...I know what you are going through with this and it is a very hard habit to break.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
http://www.coydesigns.com
rye

rye

Cat Peeing Prob! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cat Peeing Prob!   Cat Peeing Prob! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2008 5:38 pm

Another thing cat's HATE is the smell of oranges....I don't know if you've ever been peeling one with your cat around but they RUN from the peels like nuts....so if you find some sort of deterrent that has citrus in it...the cat will stay away from that spot....

Bleach also works to keep the cats from peeing on spots but that's last resort.....

Good idea to check for a medical condition though too like mentioned ^^
Back to top Go down
Dogspaw

Female Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-05-13

Cat Peeing Prob! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cat Peeing Prob!   Cat Peeing Prob! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 11:45 am

Bleach is not recommened it has ammonia in it and it smells just like pee. Orange-a-peel is the name of the product and you can find it everywhere. Sometimes cats dislike the litter they are using you might want to try different litters, after you rule out an infection. Also cats like privacy and not a lot of noise when they are going to the bathroom. When I had a cat we moved her litter box to the front hall closet and we lived in an apartment building and it was right next to the door. Well my cat would run in the closet go, not in the litter box and run out. She was doing this cause it was too noisey. You said that the cat does it at night...Is the place where the litter box is located have some light? Cats can only see in the dark if there is some light coming from somewhere. You might want to try an indigo nightlight near the box. I hope that helps.
Back to top Go down
KobrinFamily

KobrinFamily

Cat Peeing Prob! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cat Peeing Prob!   Cat Peeing Prob! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 12:28 pm

Hummmm I should try the night light Idea....We keep her litter box in the back closet out of the way, So maybe it might be too dark for her....Never thought of that.

~Ruth
Back to top Go down
rye

rye

Cat Peeing Prob! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cat Peeing Prob!   Cat Peeing Prob! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 1:08 pm

Dogspaw wrote:
Bleach is not recommened it has ammonia in it and it smells just like pee.

Bleach does not have ammonia in it....and if you ever did mix the two the resulting vapours can be lethal.
Back to top Go down
Dogspaw

Cat Peeing Prob! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cat Peeing Prob!   Cat Peeing Prob! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 2:03 pm

Quote :
Bleach does not have ammonia in it....and if you ever did mix the two the resulting vapours can be lethal.

Thank you for setting me straight and I will keep that in mind for the future!
Back to top Go down
rye

rye

Cat Peeing Prob! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cat Peeing Prob!   Cat Peeing Prob! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 8:29 pm

I just bought some scratch repellent from wal-mart today....brand new couch not even a month old....cat's been scratching it I just noticed the other day....haha....sneaky little guy.....so I sprayed the couch with this stuff it has a lot of "citrus" products in it as well as some other things....

Any word on the peeing problem?
Back to top Go down
KobrinFamily

KobrinFamily

Cat Peeing Prob! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cat Peeing Prob!   Cat Peeing Prob! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 9:37 pm

She hasnt had any accdents in the past few day's, But then again she hasnt come down alot, The boy's got a new kitten for a b-day present on Sat and well she is less then impressed, She just come's down long enough too eat, potty than back up-stairs. I'm just glad I'm not finding any "accdents" up-stairs.

~Ruth
Back to top Go down
rye

rye

Cat Peeing Prob! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cat Peeing Prob!   Cat Peeing Prob! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2008 10:45 am

Aww poor kitty thinks you replaced it when in fact you just wanted to get it a friend!
Back to top Go down
KobrinFamily

KobrinFamily

Cat Peeing Prob! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cat Peeing Prob!   Cat Peeing Prob! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2008 1:29 pm

Yeah last night was abit funny Zoey keep trying to get me to go down stares with her becuse the kitten was there, I was thinking Zoey you are like 5 times bigger than her, you could eat the kitten for a snack....lol

~Ruth
Back to top Go down
Dogspaw

Cat Peeing Prob! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cat Peeing Prob!   Cat Peeing Prob! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2008 2:01 pm

Give it lots of time. When we brought a new kitten home it took our older cat a year before she was used to the idea that this "thing" was staying! One day they will be playing together when they think that no one is looking.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cat Peeing Prob! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cat Peeing Prob!   Cat Peeing Prob! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cat Peeing Prob!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Norfolk Talks :: Norfolk Talks Forums :: Animal/Pet Forum-
Jump to: