Norfolk Talks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

great tomatoes?

Go down 
+6
CatWeb
wickens
Slyguy
Inanimate Carbon Rod
Leslie
cking
10 posters
AuthorMessage
cking

cking

Female Number of posts : 427
Registration date : 2008-04-01

great tomatoes? Empty
PostSubject: great tomatoes?   great tomatoes? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 8:08 pm

Has anyone purchased any really good tomatoes at a roadside stand? The ones at the grocery store are pretty tasteless, almost like plastic...even the "field" tomatoes. They are hard and not very juicy. Are there any Beefsteak variety out there? Anyone? I just remember those tomato sandwiches on toast....and can't find any great tomatoes!
Back to top Go down
Leslie

Leslie

Female Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2008-03-12

great tomatoes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: great tomatoes?   great tomatoes? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 8:10 pm

Oh I would like to know also. My beefsteak in my garden are not ready yet thanks to the neighbour planting shrubs Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
http://members.tripod.com/iamleslie2-ivil/leslieshomedaycare/
Inanimate Carbon Rod

Inanimate Carbon Rod

Number of posts : 164
Registration date : 2008-03-11

great tomatoes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: great tomatoes?   great tomatoes? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 8:15 pm

This year, I've purchased all my tomatoes from either Matz's or across the road and up the hill a little at Frazer McClung's little stand.

Great sandwiches!
Back to top Go down
cking

cking

Female Number of posts : 427
Registration date : 2008-04-01

great tomatoes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: great tomatoes?   great tomatoes? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 8:18 pm

Ah, yes! Mr. McClung will have the best of the best! Thank you!
Back to top Go down
Slyguy

Male Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2008-07-30

great tomatoes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: great tomatoes?   great tomatoes? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 8:18 pm

Inanimate Carbon Rod wrote:
This year, I've purchased all my tomatoes from either Matz's or across the road and up the hill a little at Frazer McClung's little stand.

Great sandwiches!

Frazer had some huge beefstakes today, bigger than my fist. Maybe 2?
Back to top Go down
Inanimate Carbon Rod

Inanimate Carbon Rod

Number of posts : 164

great tomatoes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: great tomatoes?   great tomatoes? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 8:25 pm

Stevef wrote:
Inanimate Carbon Rod wrote:

Great sandwiches!

Frazer had some huge beefstakes today, bigger than my fist. Maybe 2?

O I believe it!

All his produce is fantastic - I'm sure it's all grown naturally, if not "organicly"

His beets and eggplants are great and the prices can't be topped - this place is one-of-a-kind.

sunny
Back to top Go down
wickens

Male Number of posts : 487
Registration date : 2008-03-10

great tomatoes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: great tomatoes?   great tomatoes? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 8:29 pm

we got a basket at food basic last week really good
Back to top Go down
Slyguy

Registration date : 2008-07-30

great tomatoes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: great tomatoes?   great tomatoes? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 8:31 pm

"All his produce is fantastic - I'm sure it's all grown naturally, if not "organicly"

His beets and eggplants are great and the prices can't be topped - this place is one-of-a-kind."

Unfortunately one of the last of a dying breed.
Back to top Go down
CatWeb

CatWeb

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-04-29

great tomatoes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: great tomatoes?   great tomatoes? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 8:57 am

We've gotten some delicious tomatoes from Wholesome Pickins in Delhi this year. We've actually purchased almost all of our produce there this summer, and I'm still indulging in their everbearing strawberries, which the sign says should be available until Thanksgiving (weather permitting ) for anyone who's interested.

http://www.wholesomepickins.ca/index.php
Back to top Go down
Space Cadet

Space Cadet

Male Number of posts : 62

great tomatoes? Empty
PostSubject: great tomatoes?   great tomatoes? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 9:04 pm

We have been eating tomatoes from our own garden, but they have not been that great.
I'm disappointed and ashamed-after all my Uncle was a Tomatoe King.
Have to research, look at soil PH etc, read up on it so next year's crop will be better.
Our peppers were great, and we have raspberries now till we have a severe frost.
Back to top Go down
Jonas

Jonas

Male Number of posts : 468

great tomatoes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: great tomatoes?   great tomatoes? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 9:24 pm

Don't you think the amount of rain this season was a factor too?

Space Cadet wrote:
We have been eating tomatoes from our own garden, but they have not been that great.
Have to research, look at soil PH etc, read up on it so next year's crop will be better.
Our peppers were great, and we have raspberries now till we have a severe frost.
Back to top Go down
SkullyCapone

Registration date : 2008-05-03

great tomatoes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: great tomatoes?   great tomatoes? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 6:37 am

The tomatoes in my garden this year were maybe the best ive ever, almost all done now though
Back to top Go down
SZQ

SZQ

Female Number of posts : 419
Registration date : 2008-03-24

great tomatoes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: great tomatoes?   great tomatoes? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 7:08 am

Space Cadet wrote:

Did your uncle have a tomato/veggie stand on the Cockshutt Road? When I used to drive past there, I'd always stop for the yummy tomatoes.
Back to top Go down
Space Cadet

Space Cadet

Male Number of posts : 62

great tomatoes? Empty
PostSubject: great tomatoes?   great tomatoes? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 8:54 am

No, he was from the Port Rowan area and grew on contract for juice tomatoes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

great tomatoes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: great tomatoes?   great tomatoes? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

great tomatoes?
Page 1 of 1