Norfolk Talks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

MICE

Go down 
+9
SkullyCapone
cking
KellE
wickens
Leslie
pattip
SZQ
Slyguy
pretz
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
pretz

pretz

Female Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2008-03-23

MICE Empty
PostSubject: MICE   MICE Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 11:46 am

I arrived home last night after a very good time in Lost Wages (Las Vegas) to see a mouse run out from under my fridge. That was not good as I have two cats plus I live in an area where I never expected to have any mice in the house. Where is the best place to set mouse traps and how many should "my man" set? I don't do mouse traps and am terrified of those little suckers. affraid Any help would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Slyguy

Male Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2008-07-30

MICE Empty
PostSubject: Re: MICE   MICE Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 11:49 am

Last edited by Slyguy on Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SZQ

SZQ

Female Number of posts : 419
Registration date : 2008-03-24

MICE Empty
PostSubject: Re: MICE   MICE Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 11:51 am

Great to see you back, safe and sound but sadly, perhaps a little poorer!
We had TEN mice in our house last year. I hate dead things. Live mice etc don't bother me, but dead, ugh. I set the traps with cheese in the furnace room and one in the laundry room, both in the basement. Even though I found droppings under the stove, I choose not to have a trap in my kitchen! those little creatures will sniff out fresh cheese not matter where it is. I put on the yellow rubber gloves to set the trap and disposed of the entire thing when I caught the mouse. Hubby complained about being wasteful, but since he wasn't the one overseeing this situation, he had no vote! LOL
Make sure your pets can't reach the traps. Poor kitty!
Back to top Go down
pretz

pretz

MICE Empty
PostSubject: Re: MICE   MICE Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 12:02 pm

Poor Kitty SZQ? Those cats should have caught that sucker! Dale will be doing the setting of the traps and tossing them in the garbage once it or they are caught. I am terrified of them and keep my sandals on all day now. Thanks for the info.

Thanks stevef as well. Cheese isn't their favourite from what I hear so I am going to try the peanut butter. Do they care if it's smooth or crunchy? Laughing
Back to top Go down
pattip

pattip

Female Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2008-03-11

MICE Empty
PostSubject: Re: MICE   MICE Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 12:07 pm

Traps should be always placed where they run, if possible. Between cupboard and stove etc. My daughter used that sticky paper stuff and then tossed paper and mouse out the door. (My motto is "house has never been built that's big enough for me and a mouse") It the time of year too. They are starting to look for a warm and cozy winter home.
Back to top Go down
pretz

pretz

MICE Empty
PostSubject: Re: MICE   MICE Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 12:14 pm

I have the same motto pattip! Off to buy the traps and or sticky paper. Maybe I will get both.
Back to top Go down
Leslie

Leslie

Female Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2008-03-12

MICE Empty
PostSubject: Re: MICE   MICE Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 12:32 pm

I have found peanut butter to work best also! My lazy cats would never chase a mouse but my dog used too LOL
Good luck with the rodents
Back to top Go down
http://members.tripod.com/iamleslie2-ivil/leslieshomedaycare/
wickens

Male Number of posts : 487
Registration date : 2008-03-10

MICE Empty
PostSubject: Re: MICE   MICE Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 12:42 pm

When we lived in Hamilton our cat sat in front of a cupboard for a long time my wife opened it in a flash he had the mouse.I took if off him and flush it down the toilet.I got hell from the cat for a long time they never forget
Back to top Go down
SZQ

SZQ

Female Number of posts : 419
Registration date : 2008-03-24

MICE Empty
PostSubject: Re: MICE   MICE Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 1:11 pm

Regarding the sticky paper, just please note this.....the mice will actually cry once they're stuck on the paper and trying to get off. It's a terrible sound and very inhumane, in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
pretz

pretz

MICE Empty
PostSubject: Re: MICE   MICE Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 1:15 pm

Thanks for letting me know about the crying mice SZQ. I won't be buying sticky paper as I'm not going to listen to that
Back to top Go down
pattip

pattip

MICE Empty
PostSubject: Re: MICE   MICE Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 1:43 pm

We'er talkin about mice aren't we? Buy ear plug when you get the sticky paper.
Back to top Go down
KellE

Female Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2008-08-04

MICE Empty
PostSubject: Re: MICE   MICE Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 5:14 pm

I got the sticky paper once and my cat got it stuck to his feet. It was actually kind of funny. I found traps were more efficient. I know a lady who uses impregnated canary seed. It is for mice and it comes in little boxes and you just open the box and they take it home. Everyone at home eats it and dies I guess but, then where are the dead mice? EWWWWWW!!!
Back to top Go down
pretz

pretz

MICE Empty
PostSubject: Re: MICE   MICE Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 6:33 pm

KellE, where do you buy this canary seed? Is it harmful to cats?
Back to top Go down
cking

cking

Female Number of posts : 427
Registration date : 2008-04-01

MICE Empty
PostSubject: Re: MICE   MICE Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 6:37 pm

Dead mice are not a problem. We had some kind of pink gravelly stuff placed in little dishes throughout our house in Hamilton. Up in the ceiling and under the porch. The mice eat it and go back to where they were in the attic or walls or cracks...and die. The guy said it dehydrates them and they end up being a little dried blob..just a backbone with a bit of dry fur. Hardly recognizable as a mouse.
Back to top Go down
KellE

Female Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2008-08-04

MICE Empty
PostSubject: Re: MICE   MICE Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 8:53 pm

I'm not sure where to buy it. Try tsc or canadian tire. not sure if it is harmful to cats
Back to top Go down
SkullyCapone

Male Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2008-05-03

MICE Empty
PostSubject: Re: MICE   MICE Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 9:31 pm

catch it put a wheel in a cage and have it as a pet Laughing
Back to top Go down
buddy

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-09-02

MICE Empty
PostSubject: Re: MICE   MICE Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 9:50 pm

They sell them at canadian tire.
Back to top Go down
AnderPooh

Female Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2008-03-13

MICE Empty
PostSubject: Re: MICE   MICE Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 10:55 pm

Why don't you buy the plug in things ,1 for each floor and it keeps mice away. Go to the hardware store. Also if you find where they come in fill the hole withsteel wool they can't chew through that
Back to top Go down
pretz

pretz

MICE Empty
PostSubject: Re: MICE   MICE Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2008 8:24 am

I have never heard of anything that you plug in to keep mice away but will certainly check it out. I thought cats had a natural instinct when it came to mice but I guess not.
Back to top Go down
cking

cking

Female Number of posts : 427
Registration date : 2008-04-01

MICE Empty
PostSubject: Re: MICE   MICE Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2008 9:11 am

The plug-ins emit some kind of electronic noise that is supposed to send mice scurrying away, never to return....BUT the mice in Hamilton must be deaf because we bought three of those things and it made NO difference. They just went upstairs into the attic. You would probably need 10 of them..one in every room.
Back to top Go down
max

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2008-03-21

MICE Empty
PostSubject: No see mouse trap   MICE Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 8:36 pm

I bought one of those repeater mouse traps that can catch more than one at a time. It is supposed to scoop the mouse into an enclosed area of the metal box, and is spring loaded to catch as many as will fit in the enclosure. I paid good money for it and never caught a mouse. So I went back to the good old wooden traps. My trick however is to cut a hole in one of those baby wipe containers or another similar size box. Just about an inch wide and an inch and a half high. I leave the tab attatched at the bottom so i just cut the two sides and top of the hole and fold it down. I place the trap inside the box baited with peanut butter (works much better than cheese). Then you just place it against a wall so the mouse when he travels along the wall he has to walk past the hole. when he smells the bait he goes in for a big suprise. The only thing you see when you check the box is the tail sticking out. You then fold up the tab and place it in the garbage without having to look at the mutilated corpse. Buy another cheap trap and start again. I havent had a mouse in a few years, touch wood, but this has always worked for me. I saves you from having to clean up any blood, and you don't have to worry about catching your cats paw either.
Back to top Go down
pattip

pattip

MICE Empty
PostSubject: Re: MICE   MICE Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 10:51 am

What a great idea to use the wipe boxes! Recycling at its best! Not all cats are good at hunting, I think its something to do with being trained. Our old black cat Kiki, trained Simmons our ginger tom but alas both are gone. Smokey and Fraidy do like to be in the Garage at this time of year so maybe there is hope for our 2 new guys.
Back to top Go down
pretz

pretz

MICE Empty
PostSubject: Re: MICE   MICE Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 11:27 am

That's a great idea Max, thanks. I haven't caught my mouse yet so maybe he left after all the shrieking I did. No sign of him anywhere either. I will definitely try the container idea. Now to find someone that has some of those containers. No babies here!
Back to top Go down
pattip

pattip

MICE Empty
PostSubject: Re: MICE   MICE Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 11:43 am

Go for a walk on Blue Box night.
Back to top Go down
pretz

pretz