Norfolk Talks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Tower sounds

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
SZQ

SZQ

Female Number of posts : 419
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Tower sounds Empty
PostSubject: Tower sounds   Tower sounds Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 10:21 am

Hi Friends....I have a favour to ask....
the tower on my computer is making a strange sound, almost like a CD being loaded, it stops for about a minute and then the 'loading/whirrring' sound continues. I tried vac. out fan area (without removing the cover). Any suggestions as to what this might be?
Thanks for all your upcoming suggestions!
Back to top Go down
wickens

Male Number of posts : 487
Registration date : 2008-03-10

Tower sounds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tower sounds   Tower sounds Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 11:15 am

Could be the cooling fan
Back to top Go down
Spidubic

Spidubic

Male Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Tower sounds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tower sounds   Tower sounds Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 11:19 am

Chances are it is the fan on the heatsink over the CPU inside the tower. No way to clean it out without removing the cover.
Back to top Go down
SZQ

SZQ

Tower sounds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tower sounds   Tower sounds Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 11:32 am

Can this amateur attempt to take off the cover and clean out the fan area? I sure would hate to have this cost me more in the long run if cleaning it out is tricky. Any advice?
Back to top Go down
wickens

Tower sounds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tower sounds   Tower sounds Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 11:36 am

If its the CPU cooling fan noisy it may have bad bearing and have to be replaced
Back to top Go down
SZQ

SZQ

Tower sounds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tower sounds   Tower sounds Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 11:39 am

Well, Wickens, to your point then, I may be better off taking it to a shop. Now if I lived in Simcoe, I'd know exactly where to go, but here in the city, there are way too many to chose from and most of them have $$$ in their eyes instead of colour! I'll do some calling around. Thanks for the advice.
Back to top Go down
Groovin

Groovin

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2008-07-31

Tower sounds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tower sounds   Tower sounds Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 2:58 pm

Disclaimer: I haven't done this in years. It used to be possible and rather easy. It may depend on your computer ...

Turn off your computer, open your case and turn on your computer. Listen for the sound to see if it is coming from the CPU. If it's coming from the power supply, take it into a shop to have it replaced. If it's the CPU fan ...

Turn off and unplug your computer and wait a few minutes for it to cool down completely.

If the fan attached to the CPU heatsink is easy to access, turn the computer on it's side (or whatever) so that the top of the fan is facing upwards). There may be a paper cover over the center of the fan. Carefully peal that back and you will find a tiny hole & axel in the center. Fold a small piece of glossy box board (like the outside of a cereal box) in half. Spray some WD40 into the trough of the board so that you have a couple of drops collected. Carefully poor a drop or two into the whole. spin the fan with your finger a couple of times to work it in. Replace the paper cover (it should still have sufficient adhesive on it). Plug in and turn on the computer to test if that worked.

This may give you as much as an extra year on the fan. Or you could just buy a new fan.
Back to top Go down
wickens

Tower sounds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tower sounds   Tower sounds Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 3:21 pm

Groovin wrote:
Disclaimer: I haven't done this in years. It used to be possible and rather easy. It may depend on your computer ...

Turn off your computer, open your case and turn on your computer. Listen for the sound to see if it is coming from the CPU. If it's coming from the power supply, take it into a shop to have it replaced. If it's the CPU fan ...

Turn off and unplug your computer and wait a few minutes for it to cool down completely.

If the fan attached to the CPU heatsink is easy to access, turn the computer on it's side (or whatever) so that the top of the fan is facing upwards). There may be a paper cover over the center of the fan. Carefully peal that back and you will find a tiny hole & axel in the center. Fold a small piece of glossy box board (like the outside of a cereal box) in half. Spray some WD40 into the trough of the board so that you have a couple of drops collected. Carefully poor a drop or two into the whole. spin the fan with your finger a couple of times to work it in. Replace the paper cover (it should still have sufficient adhesive on it). Plug in and turn on the computer to test if that worked.

This may give you as much as an extra year on the fan. Or you could just buy a new fan.

GOOD ADVICE
Back to top Go down
SZQ

SZQ

Tower sounds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tower sounds   Tower sounds Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 3:48 pm

Groovin and Wickens.....I wish you could hear me laughing after reading those instructions! I think maybe I'll just take it to a shop and ask for an opinion and/or fan installation. I'm 99.99% sure that's where the problem lies. My hubby says I have a problem with the word "instructions". LOL Actually, I prefer the word "manuel". Of course, it's really a code for MAN U Will.....fix the problem!!! No where does it say WOMAN U Will!!!!!
Back to top Go down
wickens

Tower sounds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tower sounds   Tower sounds Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 5:32 pm

I fix my own its easy

Last edited by wickens on Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Groovin

Groovin

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2008-07-31

Tower sounds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tower sounds   Tower sounds Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 5:57 pm

SZQ: Since you're in a city, perhaps take it to either Future Shop or Best Buy (preferably the latter). Or call Best Buy's Geek Squad or Geeks on Wheels (or whatever they're called), and have them come to your home.
Back to top Go down
Gebo
Gebo

Male Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Tower sounds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tower sounds   Tower sounds Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 6:36 pm

Rustee is your man if you have any way to get it to him...
or someone you know...I have been to a few others (shops) in
the past and the expierence was so bad that I learned
to build and repair for myself.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tower sounds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tower sounds   Tower sounds Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tower sounds
Page 1 of 1