Norfolk Talks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Pepper Jelly

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
joeileen

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Pepper Jelly Empty
PostSubject: Pepper Jelly   Pepper Jelly Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2008 9:28 am

Does anyone have a good recipe to share?
Back to top Go down
windy

windy

Female Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Pepper Jelly Empty
PostSubject: RE:Pepper Relish   Pepper Jelly Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2008 8:23 am

I thought last week, while at the market, about making up a batch of pepper relish. When I came home I wasn't able to find my "tried and true"receipe, but did locate the one below published in a Women's Institute cookbook from northern Ontario. Now those gals can cook so I think you can trust this one if you like it hot!!

Three Pepper Jelly

3 red peppers
3 green peppers
10 jalapeno peppers
3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 box of fruit pectin (certo)
2 cups white sugar (divided)

In a large saucepan, combine chopped peppers and vinegar. In another small bowl, mix pectin crystals with 1/4 cup of sugar. Slowly stir this mixture into the peppers. Cook and stir over high heat until mixture comes to a full boil. Stir in remaining sugar, cook and stir until mixture returns to a boil. Continue to stir and boil hard for 1 minute. Remove from heat and skim off foam; stir and skim for 5 minutes to cool slightly. Pour into sterilized jars and seal while still hot. Makes about 5 cups.

A reminder to wear gloves when dealing with jalapeno peppers!!!!
Back to top Go down
joeileen

Pepper Jelly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pepper Jelly   Pepper Jelly Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2008 10:08 am

Thanks Windy for the recipe and for the "hot" tip.
Back to top Go down
Rick wisson

Male Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Pepper Jelly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pepper Jelly   Pepper Jelly Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2008 6:41 pm

Would it be possible to freeze this jelly rather than putting it in jars. ?
Back to top Go down
windy

windy

Female Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Pepper Jelly Empty
PostSubject: Re:Pepper Jelly   Pepper Jelly Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2008 8:15 pm

Regarding your question Rick, whether or not you could freeze this pepper jelly. I don't know!! Comparing it to fruit jams, if you boil the fruit mixture then you must put it into jars. The freezer jam receipe doesn't require boiling the fruit, just the pectin and water. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
Back to top Go down
SZQ

SZQ

Female Number of posts : 419
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Pepper Jelly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pepper Jelly   Pepper Jelly Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2008 8:42 pm

I offer my services for taste tests and quality control....one frozen, one not. Yum...I can almos taste it now!
This is not a recipe per say, but I love this pepper jelly on thin bread, brie cheese, thinly sliced green apple and then put in a panini press. I could eat two or three of them in one sitting!
Back to top Go down
joeileen

Pepper Jelly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pepper Jelly   Pepper Jelly Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 9:50 am

I have used the pepper jelly that had been given to us (sans recipe) on salmon and tilapia before barbequing and the flavour is fantastic! that's why I wanted a recipe! I also enjoy on crackers with cream cheese
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pepper Jelly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pepper Jelly   Pepper Jelly Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pepper Jelly
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Norfolk Talks :: Norfolk Talks Forums :: Recipes-
Jump to: