Norfolk Talks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Financial Markets

Go down 
+4
SkullyCapone
Jonas
redrider
Slyguy
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Slyguy

Male Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2008-07-30

The Financial Markets Empty
PostSubject: The Financial Markets   The Financial Markets Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 7:50 pm

CNBC is calling it a "Financial Crisis". The NYSE had it's worst day today since Sept 11,01. Toronto was down almost 500, the Dow down over 500. Meryl Lynch, one of the bggest brokerage firms allowed itself to be bought for $29 a share after refusing a merger offer last year at $90. Lehman Brothers another broker declared bankrupcy. AIG Corp, a Dow component closed just over $6 after being at $80 this year. Oil is down to $93 right now after hitting $147 this summer, it's even on the year. Gold rose $22 today. This is all panic, it feels like Oct 87 with most financials and commodities falling. So many middle income people jumped on the mutual fund band wagon over the last 20 years or so and this hurts them and their retirements.
Back to top Go down
redrider

Male Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-03-13

PostSubject: Re: The Financial Markets   The Financial Markets Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 8:06 pm

Not too sure I want to look at my financial page tomorrow. It has been a roller coaster ride this year, but as always, hang in there and don't bail now.
Back to top Go down
Jonas

Jonas

Male Number of posts : 468
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Greed and fear drive the markets.....don't worry... be happy   The Financial Markets Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 8:09 pm

Here's a bit of insight on financial cycles......

http://www.zmetro.com/archives/008482.php
Back to top Go down
Slyguy

PostSubject: Re: The Financial Markets   The Financial Markets Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 8:23 pm

There's software out there that will generate cycle high and lows, buys and sells etc. Right on a brokers quote machine. Which cycle? Yearly, hourly, monthly, weekly, even minute by minute if you day trade. Convergences of two or more, divergences of 3, ocillators, stochastics, Bolenger Bands. It goes on and on, it called technical analysis, it's just another tool. No chart predicted today. Bad policies and too much greed did.
Back to top Go down
SkullyCapone

Registration date : 2008-05-03

PostSubject: Re: The Financial Markets   The Financial Markets Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 8:47 pm

I mostly got out of the stock market when all this crap started going down around last fall but I kept one stock and im paying the price for it now, thank god I got out the others or I would be in serious trouble. One thing though for those with extra money kickin around there is some amazing buys out there right now and when the market turns back up could make you a rich man or women, unfortunely I cant gamble this time Crying or Very sad

The US is in trouble, yet americans seem to be favouring another republican government, strange
Back to top Go down
Slyguy

PostSubject: Re: The Financial Markets   The Financial Markets Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 9:07 pm

Agreed, but will the buys keep getting better and better. Research in Motion was at $140, it's at $98 today. It's yearly low is in the $80's. It's a well run company, profitable and has new products about to be introduced. The market in panic mode doesn't care, when it's liquidating value goes out the window.
Back to top Go down
Slyguy

PostSubject: Re: The Financial Markets   The Financial Markets Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 11:09 pm

Stevef wrote:
Agreed, but will the buys keep getting better and better. Research in Motion was at $140, it's at $98 today. It's yearly low is in the $80's. It's a well run company, profitable and has new products about to be introduced. The market in panic mode doesn't care, when it's liquidating value goes out the window.

$69 and change today Friday Sept 26.
Back to top Go down
Jonas

Jonas

PostSubject: Re: The Financial Markets   The Financial Markets Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 11:30 pm

I'm waiting for it to go down to $50 Wink
Back to top Go down
Slyguy

PostSubject: Re: The Financial Markets   The Financial Markets Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 11:32 pm

Lol, buy the bounce.
Back to top Go down
Slyguy

PostSubject: Re: The Financial Markets   The Financial Markets Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 11:34 pm

Good call, I just looked at the chart, $50 is right on!
Back to top Go down
Slyguy

PostSubject: Re: The Financial Markets   The Financial Markets Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 2:57 pm

Sept 29th with an hour to go gold is up $25, oil is down 11%, the Dow is down 550 points, not a friendly day for mutual funds.
Back to top Go down
Jonas

Jonas

PostSubject: Re: The Financial Markets   The Financial Markets Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 7:44 am

Time to buy. Any suggestions for a blue chip under valued stock? Wink
Back to top Go down
MI_13

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2008-04-25

PostSubject: Re: The Financial Markets   The Financial Markets Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 8:34 am

Jonas wrote:

Until a plan is decided upon by the US Congress to restore the credit markets, this is definitely a high risk environment to be buying equity in.
Back to top Go down
Slyguy

PostSubject: Re: The Financial Markets   The Financial Markets Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 10:20 am

Jonas wrote:

General Electric, NYSE symbol GE. $24. Besides the electronic and high tech end it owns NBC. It is also a financial company and that's why it's been especially beaten up lately. It's chart looks like it's falling of a cliff, but so does the chart of the whole market. When to buy?
Back to top Go down
observer

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-03-12

PostSubject: Re: The Financial Markets   The Financial Markets Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 11:46 pm

[quote="SkullyCapone"]I mostly got out of the stock market when all this crap started going down around last fall but I kept one stock and im paying the price for it now, thank god I got out the others or I would be in serious trouble. One thing though for those with extra money kickin around there is some amazing buys out there right now and when the market turns back up could make you a rich man or women, unfortunely I cant gamble this time Crying or Very sad

The US is in trouble, yet americans seem to be favouring another republican government, strange[/quote

]ust contemplating how an impoverished tobacco grower looking for Diane's buyout had the extra funds to be in the stock market until last fall when he 'wisely' chose to get out - before he was subjected to an obviously downturning industry.

a) - In how bad a monetary fix was he, that he had funds in the stock market?

b) - How was he wise enough to get out of an 'industry' that was not looking good - the stock market - yet, he was not that wise to get out of another industry - tobacco -- when IT was not looking good?
Back to top Go down
SkullyCapone

Registration date : 2008-05-03

PostSubject: Re: The Financial Markets   The Financial Markets Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2008 7:26 am

[quote="observer"]
SkullyCapone wrote:
I mostly got out of the stock market when all this crap started going down around last fall but I kept one stock and im paying the price for it now, thank god I got out the others or I would be in serious trouble. One thing though for those with extra money kickin around there is some amazing buys out there right now and when the market turns back up could make you a rich man or women, unfortunely I cant gamble this time Crying or Very sad

The US is in trouble, yet americans seem to be favouring another republican government, strange[/quote

]ust contemplating how an impoverished tobacco grower looking for Diane's buyout had the extra funds to be in the stock market until last fall when he 'wisely' chose to get out - before he was subjected to an obviously downturning industry.

b) - How was he wise enough to get out of an 'industry' that was not looking good - the stock market - yet, he was not that wise to get out of another industry - tobacco -- when IT was not looking good?

I think these are the type of comments that create trouble on message boards like this but ill anwser anyways

During your observation observe you fail to relize that just because I grow tobacco doesnt mean I have not operated several businesses over the last 10-15 years, some of which did very well. You fail to observe that the money I invested could of came from one of those businesses, you fail to observe that I only invested a relatively small amount because you wouldnt know that figure in the first place. You fail to observe that I could of invested some money in hopes of making money to help my tobacco business out. You fail to observe over the last twenty years tobacco has had troubles before and most times pulled out of it. You fail to observe because you couldnt possibly know in the first place the sudden downturn in the tobaco industry this time around and the inability to get out because my quota was frozen. You fail to observe that if a buyout comes most of my debts due to tobacco will be erased, so was it really a bad decision? You fail to observe that i wasnt investing in 100-300 dollar stocks, I bought and sold penny stocks high risk ranging from .01-3.00. You fail to relzie when I say if I wojuld of stayed in I would of been in serious trouble that could of meant if I lose even 500 bucks im cooked lol

Before you get personal with me and question my life and businesses decisions you should get to know me first but not even that couldnt tell you the amounts invested, where my money comes from and how much I gained and lost over the years because quite frankly thats none of your business.

The markets, it was pretty clear, a couple wars, growing tension worlwide between several countries, the fight and race for oil, the housing market, gold climbing through the roof a few times, the US market was bound to crash and the world markets were bound to follow. Now it will probably all turn around but I see a day coming where China takes over as the worlds super power and the US takes a back seat but will that spark another war? Tough times and tough decisiions ahead for sure but the smart ones with money to gamble with could become very rich people buying up these cheap stocks and seeing them fly back up if things turn around.
Back to top Go down
SZQ

SZQ

Female Number of posts : 419
Registration date : 2008-03-24

PostSubject: Re: The Financial Markets   The Financial Markets Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2008 8:20 am

[quote="observer"]
SkullyCapone wrote:

I consider this personal bashing and not a discussion or debate. These kind of comments should not be allowed on this board, or any other for that matter.
Back to top Go down
Leslie

Leslie

Female Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2008-03-12

PostSubject: Re: The Financial Markets   The Financial Markets Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2008 8:36 am

that is bashing and uncalled for!
it personally is no ones business but Skullys!
Back to top Go down
http://members.tripod.com/iamleslie2-ivil/leslieshomedaycare/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Financial Markets   The Financial Markets Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Financial Markets
Page 1 of 1