Norfolk Talks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Opinions PLEASE

Go down 
+11
AnderPooh
cricket
aguyinbrantford
wickens
rifraf
cking
Inanimate Carbon Rod
SZQ
Groovin
Gebo
Leslie
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Leslie

Leslie

Female Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Opinions PLEASE Empty
PostSubject: Opinions PLEASE   Opinions PLEASE Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 7:23 pm

as most of you know I am a single mom and the price of gas is killing me so I am getting rid of the mini van and buying a car. I cant go brand new cause even tho I wish I am NOT rich LOL So I have spent the last month running the roads of southern ontario, scouring the internet etc.
Right now I seen 4 cars I like but want and need some opinions and help!
I know a bit about cars but not everything, I prefer a couple brands but need opinions or experience on others.

#1 2003 Honda Civic 56000 kms $11995. Nice clean car body excellent shape

#2 2004 Nissan Sentra 60000 kms $9895. nice clean car and excellent body

#3 2004 Grand am 4cyl 68000 kms $8995. only thing I seen wrong was a cigarette burn in the drivers seat. Body is in excellent shape

#4 2004 Grand Am GT 6cyl 58000 kms $9950. Excellent inside and out

I know a bit about Honda's and that they last forever cept the body rots off LOL
I know nothing about Nissan's Question
Pontiac's I know a bit

Please give me your opinions and help this mom Im lost in a car dealers nightmare
Back to top Go down
http://members.tripod.com/iamleslie2-ivil/leslieshomedaycare/
Gebo
Gebo

Male Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Opinions PLEASE Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opinions PLEASE   Opinions PLEASE Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 7:40 pm

In that line-up I like the Honda...they are prone to rust but so are the rest...
I have an 2001 4 cyl. Alero which has the same mechanicals as the Grand Am....It gets
excellent milage but they are prone to front bearing failure and mine is showing
some rust. Nissan makes a decent car but again the rust will get you eventually.
Back to top Go down
Groovin

Groovin

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2008-07-31

Opinions PLEASE Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opinions PLEASE   Opinions PLEASE Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 7:54 pm

I test drove a used grand am a while back. Hated it. It felt like a peace of junk. It's hard to go wrong with a Civic. Nissan is a really good make as well, although I know nothing about the Sentra model.

The price of the Civic seems a tad high, but it depends on the model. For what it's worth, for about 50% more you could get a brand new car (complete with warranty).

If you go to the Toyota site and pretend you are buying a new car, you will eventually see a link to appraise your current vehicle using the Canadian Black Book. You can use that to get a better idea of the value of these cars so that you can make an appropriate offer. I know of no permanent direct link to the service (since you normally have to pay for it). But to use it for free, you have to go in using a link from the manufacturer.
Back to top Go down
Leslie

Leslie

Opinions PLEASE Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opinions PLEASE   Opinions PLEASE Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 8:01 pm

I was just on Haldimond motors website they have alot. I am headed there this weekend.

Ok I have been hearing Honda's, Toyota hold value and are the way to go. Sounds like Nissans are good cars also
Back to top Go down
SZQ

SZQ

Female Number of posts : 419
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Opinions PLEASE Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opinions PLEASE   Opinions PLEASE Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 8:04 pm

Well Leslie,
After checking out the mechanical features of the car and the safety of it, I would be sure to take each one for a test drive. Sometimes that can eliminate a car right away. Since you are used to a 'roomy' van, you might feel claustrophic in one of these cars. Two door vs. four door. I had a Grand Am for 10 years. General maintenance but brakes seemed to be the weakest part. LOL But my husband says I'm paranoid about brakes. (I guess commuting for 1 hour each way on the highway did it.) Think about 4 cyl. vs 6 cyl. Personally, I prefer 6 cyl. because I did a lot of highway driving. (My personal preference posters...you may disagree.) When test driving, combine highway and town/country driving. Don't be afraid of taking up the seller's time....you are spending a lot of money and deserve the opportunity for a test run. The handling of the car is important too. If during the test drive you can't stand the way a car handles, don't buy it! Does the car pull to the left or right? Take a look at where the car sat before you drove away....any oil leaks? Do all the buttons work? Look at the tread of the tires. If slightly balding, negotiate that in the price. Paying cash? Negotiate that too. Ask for the Used Car package that the vendor has to get at the MOT. That gives a value of the car....but ALWAYS too high! Don't fall for those insurance packages sold at dealerships. The contract actually covers very little for the price you pay.
Lastly, how do you LOOK in the car?!!!!!! Drive by a huge window with a great reflection!!!!!!!!
Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Inanimate Carbon Rod

Inanimate Carbon Rod

Number of posts : 164
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Opinions PLEASE Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opinions PLEASE   Opinions PLEASE Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 8:19 pm

for used cars, Haldimand Motors is the only way to go in my opinion. I purchased a used car there in 2002 and was extremely satisfied with the service. There is no pressure at all, and they also had no problem with me taking the car to an independent mechanic. The mechanic ran the car, made a short list of suggestions which HM completed on the car.

I also know several other people who have dealt with HM and I've never heard a complaint.

Great organization - Haldimand Motors
Back to top Go down
Leslie

Leslie

Opinions PLEASE Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opinions PLEASE   Opinions PLEASE Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 8:35 pm

Great info Susan thanks!
Now to find a big window LOL
Gotta look good Cool
Back to top Go down
SZQ

SZQ

Opinions PLEASE Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opinions PLEASE   Opinions PLEASE Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 8:44 pm

It's ALL important! A girl has to look good even when driving a car! LOL
Back to top Go down
cking

cking

Female Number of posts : 427
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Opinions PLEASE Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opinions PLEASE   Opinions PLEASE Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 8:54 pm

I say buy the Honda Civic. I drove a 1998 Honda Civic for several years every day. Bought it used. Never let me down.

Passed it on to my son. And he is STILL driving it every day to work in Cayuga. Excellent vehicle..excellent mileage. And no rust to speak of. They just keep on running! Still looks good and runs very well.
Back to top Go down
rifraf

rifraf

Male Number of posts : 22

Opinions PLEASE Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opinions PLEASE   Opinions PLEASE Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 9:13 pm

Leslie I'd buy the Honda , but first google auto trader.com and Kijij ,look up recalls on the model car your looking at,and look up reviews of that make and model. I heard that Koncir in Simcoe is good to deal with. one more thing ask the dealer if there is any factory warranty left on the car . Good luck
Back to top Go down
cking

cking

Female Number of posts : 427
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Opinions PLEASE Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opinions PLEASE   Opinions PLEASE Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 9:15 pm

Yes, Gary Koncir. We never deal with anyone else! We have bought at least 6 vehicles from Gary in the past few years in the family. Excellent service! He doesn't buy junk or pass on a lemon to you. Follow up service is terrific.
Back to top Go down
wickens

Male Number of posts : 487
Registration date : 2008-03-10

Opinions PLEASE Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opinions PLEASE   Opinions PLEASE Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 9:20 pm

It make sense to buy close to home if you can, that saves time and money in the end
Back to top Go down
aguyinbrantford

aguyinbrantford

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2008-03-22

Opinions PLEASE Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opinions PLEASE   Opinions PLEASE Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 9:21 pm

"#1 2003 Honda Civic 56000 kms $11995. Nice clean car body excellent shape"

in this group, this is your best choice... take someone who knows engines with you for a good listen and have a quick oil check (you can check it off this dipstick and feel for grit). As long as it is oiled (underbody) than it should serve you good

Also something to consideration an off lease Dodge Caliber (say an 07) we just bought a new one an loaded the hell out of it and it was only $20,000 something, and the base is like $16.000 (but a used one should get you down near that Honda)

The reason I mention this car, is you were concerned with fuel economy. Ours is an SXT with a fairly large and powerful 4cyl. However the Caliber is the only entry level car (I could be wrong) with what is called a CVT transmission, these style of 'automatics' don't have any gears to shift so the engine stays at a consistant speed. I find ours gets in the very high 30's MPG (new rated for 40mpg highway and 35 I think city) Another plus to having a CVT in your car is a lot less maintenance involved than a normal automatic transmission

...I know you aren't thinking new, but I would point this car out as they are very inexpensive new nevermind used, and I was very pleased with what essentially a Neon replacement
Back to top Go down
Leslie

Leslie

Opinions PLEASE Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opinions PLEASE   Opinions PLEASE Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 9:40 pm

I bought my very first car from Gary when he worked at Blue Star in Delhi!
I was looking in the lot the other night and couldnt get past the Monte Carlo LOL
YES that my dream car but its not going to happen LOL I have to think smart not wants. Laughing

I surf kijiji daily and there seems to be a few mmmmmmmm crooks dont know what else to call them, maybe scammers. I seen a car I liked emailed the guy only to find out he wasnt in Canada, his wife got a job in the states Rolling Eyes but if I sent him all the money he would come home and show me the car Shocked I wasnt born yesterday and I didnt take him up on his offer
Back to top Go down
cricket

cricket

Number of posts : 64

Opinions PLEASE Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opinions PLEASE   Opinions PLEASE Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 10:31 pm

Honda, all the way
Back to top Go down
AnderPooh

Female Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2008-03-13

Opinions PLEASE Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opinions PLEASE   Opinions PLEASE Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 2:46 am

I'll agree...haldimands is the way to go!

Grandams...stay away from them if you're trying to SAVE...GAS GUZZLERS
Back to top Go down
Batman

Batman

Number of posts : 140

Opinions PLEASE Empty
PostSubject: Love this forum   Opinions PLEASE Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 3:29 am

What great advice!! Honest and informative.

I like Koncer and Haldimand Motors, we saved a bundle on the purchase at HM but service it locally so we get the best of both worlds.
Back to top Go down
aguyinbrantford

aguyinbrantford

Number of posts : 143

Opinions PLEASE Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opinions PLEASE   Opinions PLEASE Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 7:24 am

My dream car is the car in my avatar... 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT-8, the manager of Brant Chrysler has one... they look even better up close than on TV or in magazines Smile

...this is my next set of wheels now that the wife got her new Caliber (but HEMI orange)
Opinions PLEASE Rt10

**drool** ooops slipped off topic lol
Back to top Go down
COMAX

COMAX

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Opinions PLEASE Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opinions PLEASE   Opinions PLEASE Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 8:21 am

Have you called to get some insurance quotes?

Check insurance cost of each vehicle, that may help you make a decision as well.
Back to top Go down
SZQ

SZQ

Opinions PLEASE Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opinions PLEASE   Opinions PLEASE Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 4:17 pm

Please let us know how you make out Leslie!
Back to top Go down
Leslie

Leslie

Opinions PLEASE Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opinions PLEASE   Opinions PLEASE Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 4:20 pm

I will definately let everyone know!!!!!
Im not to worried about ins. I am a girl its always cheaper for us LOL
Back to top Go down
Retired2
Jokester
Retired2

Male Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Opinions PLEASE Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opinions PLEASE   Opinions PLEASE Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 8:44 pm

Don't forget to get trs8e's opinion. It will be more relieable then all the rest!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Leslie

Leslie

Opinions PLEASE Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opinions PLEASE   Opinions PLEASE Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 8:46 pm

Retired2 wrote:
Don't forget to get trs8e's opinion. It will be more relieable then all the rest!!!!!!!!!

NO THANKS!
Back to top Go down
Berend

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-04-27

Opinions PLEASE Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opinions PLEASE   Opinions PLEASE Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 8:42 am

Leslie, we deal with a gentleman named Dan Colyn who runs a company called I Buy Wreck, Ibuywrecks.ca. He buys cars from the insurance company that have recieved damage from a collision. The cars are usually only 2-4 years old with low mialage. He has a beautiful shop that he reapirs these cars in and then resells them. The possitives: the cars look and run like brand new and the cost of our last one, for example, was less than half the car lots price. The downside is trying to sell it a year later, since it is tagged as a car that was in an accident. It will sell, but for less than one that was not in an accident. But, if you intend to drive the car for the next fave years, that's not an issue.

We have bought two cars through him, and my friend has bought three. He can get any brand aand model. I've been nothing but pleased so far and will be buying another from him in the spring for my daughter.
Back to top Go down
Berend

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-04-27

Opinions PLEASE Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opinions PLEASE   Opinions PLEASE Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 8:43 am

oops. His phone number is 905-928-0313
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Opinions PLEASE Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opinions PLEASE   Opinions PLEASE Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Opinions PLEASE
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Norfolk Talks :: Norfolk Talks Forums :: General Forum-
Jump to: