Norfolk Talks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

donating a used computer

Go down 
+2
Groovin
windy
6 posters
AuthorMessage
windy

windy

Female Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-08-13

donating a used computer Empty
PostSubject: donating a used computer   donating a used computer Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 8:38 am

I've recently updated to a laptop computer and would like to donate my old unit to a worthy cause. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would also inquire if I have done enough when I deleted all contact lists, favorite lists, cookies, history, and used the "cleanup program" Rustee I recommends. Should I do something more prior to passing this cpu on?
Back to top Go down
Groovin

Groovin

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2008-07-31

PostSubject: Re: donating a used computer   donating a used computer Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 9:17 am

Local school or Little Geeks in TO.
Back to top Go down
Leslie

Leslie

Female Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2008-03-12

PostSubject: Re: donating a used computer   donating a used computer Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 9:19 am

Womens shelter right here at home! Help our own!!
Back to top Go down
http://members.tripod.com/iamleslie2-ivil/leslieshomedaycare/
rudievalentine

rudievalentine

Female Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2008-03-22

PostSubject: Re: donating a used computer   donating a used computer Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 1:25 pm

Holy Trinity takes used computers and rebuilds them in their classes to donate to families in need.
Back to top Go down
Rustee

Rustee

Male Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Donating a used computer   donating a used computer Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 1:26 pm

Should I do something more prior to passing this cpu on?

I have donated a few to the NACL group here in Simcoe. They operate many homes for the Mentally Challenged, and look for fairly simple computers to play games with. They normally require the tower, keyboard, mouse and monitor.

You should go through all of the "My Documents" folder. It will contain, music, pictures, videos and many documents, any of which may contain "personal" stuff.

Glad to hear you are making good use of a used computer! sunny

Howard (Rustee)
Back to top Go down
windy

windy

PostSubject: donating used computer   donating a used computer Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 7:12 pm

Thanks for all of your suggestions. They all have merit and I would like to "keep it local". Thanks Rustee1 for your heads up also - yes, I had gone into various folders and ensured that data was deleted. It just reassures me that I've done everything that I should!
Back to top Go down
Retired2
Jokester
Retired2

Male Number of posts : 250

PostSubject: Re: donating a used computer   donating a used computer Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 8:01 pm

Depends what you have on there it might be safer to reformat
Back to top Go down
windy

windy

PostSubject: donating used computer   donating a used computer Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2008 8:32 am

oh, oh. Retired 2 suggestion to reformat brings up question.....how do I do that? I don't want to remove any of the operating programs or games by mistake. Help please!
Back to top Go down
Rustee

Rustee

Male Number of posts : 22

PostSubject: Re: donating a used computer   donating a used computer Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2008 10:24 am

Quote :
oh, oh. Retired 2 suggestion to reformat brings up question.....how do I do that? I don't want to remove any of the operating programs or games by mistake. Help please!

If you Format, that removes EVERYTHING from the hard drive and XP and any other programs you want, all need to be reinstalled. It IS the safest, but requires a lot of work ... and you need the XP install CD and key code to do that!
Back to top Go down
windy

windy

PostSubject: donating used computer   donating a used computer Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2008 4:50 pm

I was afraid you would say that Rustee. I'm going to have to think about this now, and will talk with a neighbour who is much more computer savy than I. I don't want to spend more money on this cpu but sure don't want to let it sit in the basement if someone else can benefit from it.
Back to top Go down
Groovin

Groovin

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2008-07-31

PostSubject: Re: donating a used computer   donating a used computer Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2008 5:08 pm

You can use Eraser (which is actually better than reformatting). It will permanently erase only what you want, including what appears to be free space (where previously deleted files once existed).

Note that if you take it to a school, such as Holy Trinity, wait until the school year is well underway (at least mid September) and call ahead to co-ordinate the drop-off with the computer teacher (or perhaps with the people in the office). You just have to drive up, tell the receptionist why you are there, and they will send some students down to your car to take the computer and monitor.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: donating a used computer   donating a used computer Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

donating a used computer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Norfolk Talks :: Norfolk Talks Forums :: Computer-
Jump to: